Chennai : Sulekha, one of India’s largest and fastest growing digital platforms for local service needs, today unveiled the results of a study undertaken on the PACKERS & MOVERS category of Local Services. Revealing several interesting trends, the study shows a 250% growth in the online search for Packers & Movers (Outside India category) services in the past year which indicates a significant spike in the movement of population from Kolkata to cities abroad. At a national level, the study shows a 44% upsurge in online requests for Packers & Movers across India in the last one year.
This study is based on an analysis of over 6,50,000 searches on Sulekha in the last one year (July 2015 to June 2016) for Packers & Movers, and 87000 online requests in this Local Services category on the portal. The study covers 8 key metros in the country – Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Delhi–NCR, Ahmedabad and Pune. The study takes into consideration four different categories of Packers & Movers:
· Car Carriers
· Packers & Movers Outside India (for people looking to shift out of the country)
· Packers & Movers Within India
· Packers & Movers Within City
Key findings of the study:
· Compared to last year, there is a 44% upsurge in online search for Packers & Movers.
· The top 3 markets that have seen the maximum growth are: Pune (85%), Kolkata (76%) and Ahmedabad (61%), indicating high-levels of movement and relocation in or out of these cities.
· The other markets have seen the following growth: Hyderabad (47%), Mumbai (45%), Chennai (44%), Delhi-NCR (42%) and Bangalore (25%).
· Kolkata has seen a 250% growth in the Packers & Movers Outside India category. This indicates significant movement of population from Kolkata to cities abroad. Chennai is the second highest in the country in this category with a 186% growth.
· Kolkata, Chennai and Pune are the most active markets for all 4 categories of Packers & Movers, exhibiting maximum flux and movement.
Observation across categories:
· Packers & Movers Outside India is the category that has seen the maximum growth in the last one year – a growth of72% across all cities surveyed.
· Packers & Movers Within City has seen a growth of 38% across all cities surveyed.
· Car Carriers category has seen a growth of 29%, while Packers & Movers Within India category has seen a growth of 26% across all cities surveyed.
Other interesting findings:
· Bangalore is the only city that has seen a 7% de-growth for Car Carriers in the last year.
· By contrast, Chennai has seen a staggering 176% growth in the Car Carriers category.
· The leading packers and movers in India are: Agarwal Packers, Shifting Solutions, Manish Cargo Movers Pvt. Ltd.
Commenting on the findings, Satya Prabhakar, CEO, Sulekha, said, “This study interestingly indicates how millennials in India are constantly on the move today. They are not deeply rooted to any particular city and are willing to move around for better career opportunities and prospects. Packers & Movers is a high-value category in the $200 billion Local Services market in India, and we have seen explosive growth in this category this past year. Sulekha will focus on developing this category further, based on data intelligence and our market experience.”