Amazon India has announced the launch of its third fulfilment centre (FC) in West Bengal ahead of Prime Day 2018. Spread over 140,000 square feet with over 600,000 cubic feet of storage space, this new FC in Kolkata will enable faster delivers to customers in the region and empower thousands of small & medium businesses to sell on Amazon.in. This FC is one of the five announced for 2018. Amazon India will exit 2018 with 67 operational fulfilment centers in 13 states across the country with a combined storage space of close to 20 million cubic feet.
Amazon has continued to invest significantly in its fulfilment network in West Bengal to serve the growing customer needs in the state. Prime, Amazon’s flagship program which offers members free & fast delivery on eligible items, unlimited video, ad-free music, exclusive deals and much more has seen strong adoption in the state. This FC will enable Amazon to fulfill a larger number of one-day and two-day deliveries to better the experience for Prime members.
“In line with our vision to transform the way India buys and sells, we have been consistently investing in our infrastructure and delivery network, so we can increase our speed of delivery and provide a superior experience to both – customers and sellers. With the launch of our 3rd fulfilment centre in West Bengal, we strongly believe that we will be able to better serve our customers with one-day & two-day delivery. The FC will enable sellers to use the local infrastructure, save capital and help them grow.” said Akhil Saxena, Vice President, Customer Fulfilment, Amazon India.
“Prime membership in West Bengal has been on the rise. With the launch of this FC, Prime members will be able to enjoy fast 1 day & 2 day delivery on even more number of products” said Akshay Sahi, Director & Head- Amazon Prime, India. “Prime members in West Bengal enjoy the many benefits of Prime; from shopping for exclusive deals to watching blockbuster Bengali, Bollywood and International titles on Prime Video, to listening to the latest Bengali music ad-free on Amazon Prime Music, and enjoying free fast delivery on millions of items. We are excited to welcome members from West Bengal to celebrate Prime Day with more than 100 million Prime members around the world in our best Prime Day celebrations yet.”
Amazon has one of the most advanced fulfilment networks in the world and sellers in India have been benefitting from Amazon’s expertise in fulfilment, reliable nationwide delivery and customer service. When using Fulfilment By Amazon (FBA), sellers across India send their products to Amazon’s FCs and once an order is placed, Amazon picks, packs & ships the order to the customer, provides customer service and manages returns on behalf of the sellers.
Sellers save money by replacing their upfront capital expense with low variable cost and pay only for the storage space they use and the orders that Amazon fulfils. Sellers always have the flexibility to choose the number of products they want to have fulfilled by Amazon and scale according to their business requirements. Currently, millions of products are available for immediate shipping through the network of Amazon’s FCs in India. This selection will only increase with the expanding FC footprint and benefit sellers and customers alike.
All customers on www.amazon.in and the Amazon mobile shopping app have an easy and convenient access to over 170 million products across hundreds of categories. They benefit from a safe and secure ordering experience, convenient electronic payments, Cash on Delivery, Amazon’s 24×7 customer service support, and a globally recognized and comprehensive 100% purchase protection provided by Amazon’s A-to-Z Guarantee.
Amazon’s commitment to West Bengal
- West Bengal is a critical locale for Amazon.in. Amazon has continued to invest significantly in fulfilment network to support the rapid growth in the state
- Amazon has set up 3 Fulfilment Centres (FCs) in West Bengal with a storage capacity of more than 1 million cubic feet. 1 out of the 3 is a specialized FC for storage and fulfilment of products from the large appliance and furniture categories.
- Amazon has a strong presence of its own delivery network with over 40 Service Partner nodes and over 400 ‘I Have Space’ store partners in West Bengal. This network enables customers in the region with a fast & reliable delivery experience
- Amazon has over 8500 sellers in West Bengal out of which more than 4500 are in Kolkata, many of whom sell products under the Prime program. Products with Prime fast, free delivery from sellers in West Bengalinclude apparel, home, books, kitchen and wireless to name a few.
- Prime membership saw a rise in West Bengal with members joining from towns such as Siliguri, Alipurduar, Bankura, Birbhum
- Popular categories for Prime members in West Bengal include Pantry, Beauty, Smartphones, Books and Apparel to name a few