Kolkata:Good Oral hygiene is an essential part of our health and general well-being. Most people in India face oral healthcare problems such as staining of teeth, tooth sensitivity, tooth decay or bad breath. Oral healthcare is often ignored leading to poor overall well-being and low Quality of life.
Majority of Indian consumers are unaware of the oral healthcare issues. The sensitivity-awareness index in India stood at a low of 17 per cent versus 33 per cent globally. Only 4% per cent of Indians visited dentists and most Indians did not follow basic oral-care hygiene practices (like brushing twice daily). With the increasing number of people facing the problem of sensitivity, staining or yellowness of teeth due to poor oral hygiene practices, lifestyle habits (Smoking and alcohol use) and consumption of certain food items (like wine, coffee and tea), there is an evident need to create awareness about oral healthcare in India.
In order to understand the level of awareness and the impact of oral care on the overall well-being and an individual’s personality in India, IMRB conducted an independent survey with individuals aged 25-54 years in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata. The primary objective of this survey was to arrive at hard-hitting facts on oral-healthcare awareness, and their implication in today’s time. The sample size for the survey was 600 people across regions.
The survey reveals some stark findings on the perception of Indian people on the same
Some of the key findings from the survey:
· 97% people across region believe that good oral health is critical for overall well-being
· Relatively less people cited the issues of tooth sensitivity and teeth yellowing in Kolkata
· 34% people in Kolkata missed enjoying a memorable moment in their life due to teeth sensitivity
· In food/drinks responsible coffee consumption is main reason for staining of teeth in Kolkata
i. Top 3 foods/drinks responsible for staining of teeth in Kolkata are tea, coffee and alcohol
· Majority (87%) in Kolkata prefer toothpaste that help with both tooth sensitivity and shining teeth
· 93% people in Kolkata prefer 2-in-1 toothpaste that help with both teeth sensitivity and shining teeth
The survey clearly indicates that the state of oral hygiene in Kolkata is relatively better but still people have instances of tooth sensitivity and teeth staining as the top most commonly faced problems.